Welcome to the CBA Website
Annual Meeting: Plenary Sessions
Annual Meeting: Presenting a Research Report
Annual Meeting: Conversations over Lunch
Annual Meeting: Celebrating Liturgy
Annual Meeting: Participating in a Continuing Seminar
Annual Meeting: Singing at Liturgy
Annual Meeting: CBA Book Display
Annual Meeting: Listening to Research Reports
[Click here] for textual notes on Old Testament of the New American Bible, Revised Edition that were compiled from the work of the original revisers and arranged by Joseph Jensen, O.S.B.
Please note: To search these notes, two steps are needed: first search for the Old Testament book, then for the particular verse (colon between chapter and verse). Be sure you are at the text you are searching for, because there are many cross-references in these notes. We hope to have soon a more sophisticated program provided by the USCCB.
With the Society of Jesus and the Boston College community, we mourn the passing of Daniel J. Harrington, S.J. who, at the age of 73, lost his battle with cancer on February 7, 2014. An active member of CBA since 1970, Dan served as the CBA President (1985-86) and more recently as the Chair of the CBA Board of Trustees (2009-2013).
Dan entered the Society of Jesus in 1958. While in the juniorate, he was encouraged to study Scripture and was tutored in Hebrew by Fr. John J. Collins, S.J., then editor of New Testament Abstracts.
While studying Ancient Near Eastern languages at Harvard, Dan worked with Professor John Strugnell. Dan was ordained in 1971. The following year he joined the faculty of Weston Jesuit School of Theology (currently Boston College School of Theology and Ministry) and became editor of New Testament Abstracts, a role he held until his death. The author of over 60 books, Dan also wrote “The Word” column for America magazine for three years.
In November 2013, Dan announced that 2013-14 was to be his final year of teaching. Rev. James Martin, SJ, in a tribute, presented Dan as “Clear, patient, kind. Generous, friendly, mild. Prayerful, faithful, hardworking. The model Jesuit, to my mind.”
May Dan rest in peace and rise in glory with the saints at the coming of our Lord.
[CREDITS: The above article was adapted from the Province News of the Jesuits' New England Province, http://news.sjnen.org/2014/02/fr-daniel-j-harrington-s-j-memoriam/, and a tribute in America magazine.
It's that time of the year again: time for all CBA members and subscribers to renew your annual memberships and/or subscriptions for 2014, that is!
Active Members and Associate Members of the CBA may renew your annual membership (currently $50), along with any optional subscriptions to the OTA and/or NTA, in the following ways:
- Renew by mail, paying by check, responding to the renewal forms sent to you by regular mail in December.
- Renew online, paying by credit card, using the online payment system of this website. To do so:
- LOGIN to the members-only portion of this website (see the menu bar on top right of this screen).
- Look for the "USER MENU" on the right side of this screen, and click the third item: "Renew My Membership."
- Follow the instructions on the page that appears.
Non-member Subscribers to the OTA and/or NTA may also renew their subscriptions online and pay by credit card by clicking the following link: https://cba.cua.edu/order/index.cfm
NOTE: Credit card processing generates extra costs to us, and because our prices are so low we need to charge a $5 administrative fee for all credit card payments. We appreciate your understanding!
The CBA is pleased to announce the publication of the two newest volumes in our "CBQ Monograph Series":
No. 50 (2013): Richard J. Dillon, The Hymns of St. Luke: Lyricism and Narrative Strategy in Luke 1—2, $15 (members $12).
No. 49 (2013): Aaron J. Koller, The Semantic Field of Cutting Tools in Ancient Israel, $32 (members $25.60).
To order please see the main page of the CBQMS section of this website.
The following recent announcements of faculty or administrative positions may be of interest to CBA members:
- ATLA [Chicago, IL]: Lead Meta-Data Analyst, Catholic Periodical and Literature Index
- St. Mary' University [San Antonio, TX]: NT Assistant Professor, Department of Theology (tenure-track)
- Saint Mark's College: Principal
- Corpus Christi College: President
- University of San Diego: Chair, Dept. of Theology & Religious Studies
- University of Mary [Bismark, SD]: Professor, Department of Theology (rank & speciality open)
- St. Vincent Seminary [Latrobe, PA]: Pope Benedict XVI Chair for Biblical Theology and Homiletics for Excellence in Preaching
- Open Theology [online journal]: Section Editors
For more info, see this website's section on Job Openings.
The newest features recently added to this site:
- Membership Renewals
with online payments
- Online POLLS
- Submission Forms
- Online Shopping Cart
for all CBA Publications