Institutions that have openings in Scripture or related fields are invited to send us information concerning them, and we will gladly publicize them in this section of our website.
President - Institute of Catholic Studies and Formation
The Diocese of Venice (http://dioceseofvenice.org/) in Florida seeks a President of the Institute for Catholic Studies and Formation (http://institute-dov.org). The Institute is responsible for offering Master's courses in Catechesis and Evangelization in partnership with Franciscan University of Steubenville in Ohio, and providing on-site and video-conferenced instruction for all pre-requisites upon acceptance into the Master's program. Through its in-person, Diocesan-wide video-conferencing system, the Institute offers adult formation lectures and diocesan workshops. Reporting to the Director of Catholic Education, the President oversees the daily operations inclusive of the academic, spiritual, and student-life areas of the Institute. The President performs leadership duties in the administration of the Institute, which includes hiring, supervising and evaluating faculty and staff, coordinating curriculum development, directing professional development, meeting criteria for accrediting organizations and the development, preparation, and implementation of the Institute's budget. The President will, by instituting best practices and academic excellence, create a program which attracts increased enrollment and participation. The successful candidate must be a practicing Catholic with a doctoral degree in theology or a related field.
Organization: Institute of Catholic Studies and Formation
Classification: Salaried; Exempt
Reports to: Director of Education/Superintendent of Schools
The President of the Institute for Catholic Studies and Formation is responsible for the creation, implementation, and evaluation of educational policy, academic programs, and Institute operations. This includes program review and improvement, assessment of student learning and advancement of student success, personnel decisions, budget development, enrollment management, fiscal accountability, program and curriculum development, and professional development. The President is also responsible for the operation and management of the Institute, as well as its employees, vendors and contractors.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- 50% - Strategic and tactical management skills to ensure the efficient operations of the Institute, personnel, and programs; provides strong, dynamic academic and administrative leadership, fosters a collegial environment which encourages scholarship, teaching, and learning excellence; fiscal management, computer applications, and general operations oversight; provides leadership and oversight for enrollment management strategies.
- 30% - Works with the instructional staff in development of the educational program, including the maintenance of standards and the evaluation of teachers; understands and promotes the role and use of technology in the instructional environment; trains, supervises, evaluates, and directs the work of assigned personnel.
- 20% - Plans, in coordination with the faculty, the schedule of classes; responsible for the recruitment and selection of faculty, and recommends to the Director of Education the employment of those selected; provides professional development for the faculty, and coordinates various adult faith-formation opportunities for the Diocese of Venice.
- Practicing Roman Catholic committed to teaching the faith based on the Catechism of the Catholic Church and the precepts of the Magisterium of the Church.
- Holds a Doctorate in Theology or related fields from an accredited institution.
- Five years of senior administrative-level leadership and experience, including employee management and supervision.
- Teaching experience in education with a demonstrated student-centered philosophy of education.
- Effective oral- and written-communication skills with proven proficiency in English grammar, composition, and spelling.
- Good judgment, discretion, professionalism, and a positive attitude.
- Leadership, planning, and organizational skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
Personal Attributes: Positive; collegial; spiritual; joyful; nurturing; strategic; thinking; strong communicator (all media).
Benefits: Comprehensive benefits. Details available as part of interview process.
Background Check: All people hired within the Diocese of Venice in Florida must submit to a criminal background check, including fingerprinting, as part of the Diocesan Safe Environment Program.
Application Deadline: September 30, 2016
Assistant Professor of Sacred Scripture
The Pontifical College Josephinum is seeking to hire an Assistant Professor of Sacred Scripture in the School of Theology beginning in the Fall of 2017. For the successful candidate, a completed doctorate in Sacred Scripture (Ph.D. or SSD) is desirable.
The ideal candidate should be able to teach as many of the following courses as possible in the MDiv curriculum: Gospels of Mark and Matthew, Gospel of Luke and Acts of the Apostles, Johannine Corpus, and Pauline Corpus. The ability to teach courses in both Old and New Testament is also desirable. The candidate would also have the opportunity to teach electives at the graduate level of his/her choice and expertise, and to direct theses for the MA and STB degrees. The appointment will be to the faculty of the School of Theology, though occasional teaching in the College of Liberal Arts may be required.
The expected teaching load will be six (6) courses annually. If the successful candidate is a priest, depending on other responsibilities assigned by the rector for spiritual direction or formation in the external forum, this teaching load may be reduced. The successful candidate will also have the opportunity to participate in the overall formation program through membership on various committees according to his/her interests and the needs of the seminary.
Assistant Professor - Department of Religious Studies
The Department of Religious Studies at McMaster University invites applications for a tenure-stream appointment at the Assistant Professor level (or the Associate Professor level in exceptional circumstances) beginning July 1, 2017.
The successful candidate must fit the structure and strengths of the department's Biblical Field, which is marked by its dedication to studying early Judaism and early Christianity in light of one another, focusing on the Hellenistic to Roman periods. The ideal candidate should, therefore, have competence in both early Judaism and early Christianity. Demonstration of excellence and/or outstanding promise in the areas of research, graduate supervision, and undergraduate teaching is essential. A Ph.D. in a field pertinent to the study of early Judaism and/or early Christianity is required by the time of appointment.
Assistant Professor of New Testament
Oblate School of Theology invites applications for a faculty position in New Testament at the level of Assistant Professor, to start in August of 2017. The candidate will have a PhD and/or SSL in New Testament; although ABD candidates will be considered. A successful applicant will be familiar with, and able to teach a variety of critical approaches to Scripture, including historical critical, narrative and sociological criticism. He or she will have a thorough knowledge of NT Greek and at least one other modern research language. In addition, the candidate will be thoroughly familiar with Roman Catholic teaching on the interpretation of Scripture. She or he will teach foundational and elective courses at the master's level, as well as courses and workshops in continuing education and community outreach programs.Read more: Job Opening: Oblate School of Theology (NT)
The following recent announcements of faculty or administrative positions may be of interest to CBA members:
- Institute of Catholic Studies and Formation: Diocese of Venice, FL
- Pontifical College Josephinum: Columbus, OH
- McMaster University: Hamilton, ONT (Canada)
- Oblate School of Theology: San Antonio, TX
- For more info, see this website's section on Job Openings.